“Hey Crista, how do I develop originality and find my voice in the artwork?” one artist recently asked. “Do you have any tips?”
There are several things that artists can do to find their own voice and nurture it. In fact, these steps are included in the practice of most of the successful artists I know.
* Journal. Sometimes we don’t know what we really think until we write it down. Journaling helps us to connect with ourselves in a deeper and more authentic way than any other tool available. Whether you choose to journal in words or by sketching pictures, do journal.
* Look at other art. Lots of it. Both historical and contemporary. Wherever you go, make it a point to spend time in front of other artists’ work. Nothing will inspire you more.
* Read. Art is about the communication of ideas. Even if the idea is as simple as beauty, it still deserves your full attention. Learn everything you can about your field, your medium, your subject, your technique, your market, your business… Never stop learning!
And remember, even if you struggle with reading, the world of ideas is not closed to you. Today there is a huge range of resources available to access the world of thought.
If you begin with these tips, you’ll find yourself engaging with your creativity in a deeper way. Your ideas will flourish. Your work will connect with others in a more meaningful way.
No one said the path of an artist was an easy one, because it’s not. But it is a joyful path. It is a significant path. And each artist’s path is uniquely authentic.
Guest Author: Crista Cloutier
Crista Cloutier has been actively involved in the contemporary art world throughout her career. Having worked as an international art dealer, curator, and gallerist, Crista is now the founder of The Working Artist, an online business school for visual artists.
Honored as an “Influencer in the Contemporary Art World” by LinkedIn, Crista’s work has helped artists in over 80 different countries to exhibit and sell more art.
- Have follow-up questions?
- Have other related thoughts that might be beneficial to the community?
Post them in the comments!
Are You a Visual Artist?
You’ll find a supportive community and amazing tools for connecting your story and marketing your creations globally.
Are You an Art Collector?
You’ll have access to a marketplace of global artists and phenomenal tools to organize your art collection.